Thursday, October 2, 2008

Communication skills are going bye-bye!

I am convinced that by the time the next generation rolls around our children will not learn how to carry on a face to face conversation. I am so sick of people who will not pick up the phone and call me! Instead they waste my text messages which are NOT unlimted as they attempt to have a full blown conversation with me! I have asked my friends nicely to PLEASE call me when they have a question but do they do that? NOOOO. The other day I get a message on facebook from a friend that says hey I'm going to get dinner do you want anything. I said sure where are you going? She says let me get off the phone then I'll call you. Five minutes later. . . .I GET A TEXT MESSAGE!!!! I'm like what happened to calling me? I dont understand it! I have had people just stop talking to me because I asked them not to text me anymore. They tell me they don't know what to say on the phone. I'm like wow you're in your 20's and you can't carry on a decent conversation? That my friends is sad. It is becoming more and more common for the latest disasters in the lives of teenagers to take place via text messaging. It's the same in college. We are supposedly adults in college right? Well the other day this one chicks boyfriend broke up with her VIA TEXT MESSAGE!!! That is so chicken! Not only are our young people lacking conversational skills, hiding behind electronic communication has made them afraid of conflict. No one wants to say anything to a persons face. Personal story. . . .I got dumped ON MYSPACE!!! I seriously think that text messaging needs to be strictly limited when it comes to young people. Their cell phones shouldn't even have text messaging until they hit high school or college in my personal opinion. And I think EVERYONE should be required to take classes like interpersonal communications and possibly even argumentation and debate. It's very sad that we are living in the communication age but yet we can't have a decent conversation unless we are using instant messenger or text messaging.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

I'm guilty! I hate talking on the phone, but will call people to save my text messages. HOWEVER, I do hate forwarding text messages (If you love Jesus send this to 35 ppl and you will get a blessing tonight).

I do agree that the communication skills for the current generation are HORRIBLE. Sadly, I don't think it will get better. :O(

My Trip to Scotland!