Monday, October 20, 2008

Are we taking it for granted?

I was sitting in class a couple of hours ago and we were watching the murder trial of OJ simpson for my Mock Trial class. One of the witnesses made a statement that OJ was going through something that could be compared to the trials of Job. I thought it was a rather extreme comparison but whatever right? Well as the witness says this one of the girls on my class speaks up and says "Who's Job"? I was thinking to myself seriously? I said You don't know who Job is from the Bible?? She tells me she's never heard of him and that she's really never even read the Bible! I was amazed. I'm going to school in the Bible belt and yet there are people who actually dont know who basic Bible characters are. It got me to thinking that we really take for granted things like knowing the Bible and this precious truth. I am so blessed to have the word of God embedded into my heart forever. Thanks to programs like Bible Quizzing and sunday school teachers I know and love God's word. I may not always follow it like I should and I may mess up from time to time but I still have that knowledge and that love for truth! I don't ever want to take something so precious for granted!!!

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Firstly, I will admit that I thought you said "Trials on the Job" and thought...hmmm OJ and the trials on my job. Interesting. I then realized you meant Brother Job. !!

Secondly, it always floors me when people know NOTHING about the Bible. Fine. Don't read it. Fine. Say it's not important. NEVERTHELESS, it's still apart of History. I mean, c'mon people! I've had to summarize stories of David and Goliath, Gideon, Sampson, Jesus' First Miracle at Canaa of Galilee, etc in collegiate level classrooms. To me it's basic knowledge. I am so wrong. Everyone knows about every media tramp, but can't even tell you what the first line of the bible is, or understand Old Testament vs New.

Sigh.

My Trip to Scotland!