Tuesday, March 3, 2009

YAY!!!!!!!

So I'm the president of RHA. I love being involved on campus it's so awesome. Anyway every year RHA hosts a karaoke contest and I always participate. Well being the president this year I wasn't sure how well it would go over if I planned the contest and competed as well. So I decided I'll do all the advertising and I'll let my Vice President take care of securing all of our judges that way no one could accuse me of anything suspicious.

The contest was last night. We had an AMAZING turnout!!! we served mocktails all night long. We set up a little bar and everything and the students LOVED it!

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but the last few events I've had have had really good turnouts but yet SAB (Student Activities Board) the group that has about $40,000 per semester to spend has a hard time getting people to come to events. I figured out why. When I advertised for this karaoke contest as well as most of my other events, I flooded this campus with about 1,100 flyers. I also had about 10 e-mails sent out reminding people about it. I had a sheet sign hung (though it seems to have dissappeared along with my stakes . . . stinkin thieves). I even hosted an open mic karaoke night about 2 weeks prior to the event just so I could remind people to come out. You know what SAB does when they have an event? They send out TWO e-mails. One of them goes out about 3 or 4 days before the event and the other one goes out the day of. Now keep in mind that these e-mails are going to the student e-mail accounts. Students are suppose to check this everyday but guess what . . . THEY DONT! I would guess that a vast majority of the students don't utilize the free e-mail account they are given when they come to UAM because they already have their own personal accounts set up when they get here. So yeah that's what SAB does to advertise. It's very interesting.

Now on to the really important stuff. The contest was super long. We should have planned things just a little better as far as the rounds of competition went. It was a lot of fun though we had quite a few contestants (I think like 25). We had an audience of well over 100 students (that's a lot for this campus believe me!). It was so much fun. I worked behind the bar when I wasn't singing. The first round was a fun round that no-one got eliminated in. I got second place for the girls in that round. The way it worked was all the guys had to sing a song that was originally done by a female artist and all the girls had to sing a song that was originally done by a male artist. I sang "Hey there delilah" by the Plain White T's. It was kind of funny but hey it got me second for the round and a 10 dollar gift card.

Now in the second round I sang because of you. I ended up in third place at the end of that round. At the end of the second round the top 8 got to advance to the final round. The points errased for each of the 8 contestants. I was the third person to sing and I sang a song called "Right to be Wrong" by Joss Stone. I got a total of 80 points for the round and I was pushed into first place. I was nervous at that point because I really really wanted to win. I've been trying for first place for 3 years now. Anyway I kept having friends go look at the scoreboard because I was too chicken. It was down to the last two singers. Tiffany a friend of mine who won first last year and a guy who's name I can't really remember. When Tiffany got through singing Errin comes up to me and says "how much do you love Tiffany." I was like aww did she beat me again? She hadn't. We were tied for first place!!!! Now when we planned the rules for the contest no-one thought about a tie breaker so Tif and I didn't know what the judges were going to do in order to determine a winner. We were standing there doing the whole Miss America Pagent thing and hugging each other when they were announcing the winners lol. Well anyway they went all the way back to the first round and added up the points from the judges in that round to see who the winner was. I was ahead by about 11 points and so . . . . I WON!!!!! I'm so stinkin happy!!!!! I FINALLY won a karaoke contest. I place in the top 3 every year but I wanted to be number one!! The prize? A $200 wal-mart gift card. YAY!!!!!!

No comments:

My Trip to Scotland!