Thursday, August 7, 2008

Facebook inspired 100th post.

So I was browsing facebook the social networking site that I think is way better than myspace. I love to read what people write in their profiles about what intersts they have it's great fun you should try it sometime. Anyhow I was reading profiles of friends and friends of friends and I noticed a rather silly trend among college girls. When they enter a relationship with someone they change their interests to simply say the name of their significant other. For instance the one that caught my attention was the girlfriend of a friend of mine. I looked at her interests and all it said was Colt with a little heart beside it. I started looking at other profiles and I noticed a lot of that. It really made me laugh! No offense to you Colt or your girlfriend. As flattering as it may be to think that your girlfriends only interest is you I have to think that there has to be something more that you find interesting in this life. I mean we all know you are interested in your boyfriend as it plainly states that the two of you are in a relationship. This brings up an interesting question. Do your interests really change because you start dating someone new? Do you try to match up to what you think they like? I don't know I think in younger daters this tends to be the case. We want our boyfriend or girlfriend to keep liking us so we develope a sudden interest in Action movies or sports or a certain type of music just so that you have something in common. Among the older college students and young adult daters perhaps one will develope a sudden interest in religion or politics or something of that nature just to catch the attention of a certain member of the opposite sex. I would like to think that I am independent enough to not act like this (of course this could explain my lack of a dating life) I don't want to have to change who I am or change the things I am interested in just to keep someones attention. Of course I realize that dating someone can open new doors that add to your interests. A certain hobby that you never thought about before or perhaps a different view on an issue. However I don't think anyone should instantly change what they are interested in just because they are dating someone and you certainly shouldn't lose all your other interests in life just because you have a significant other.

Of course this is all just my opinion and this post was inspired by facebook so develope your own opinion on the issue!!

And by the way this is my 100th post GO ME!!

Yvonne

No comments:

My Trip to Scotland!