Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pondering . . .

I like Adam Lambert. I really want him to win American Idol. I like Kris Allen too but I just think that Adam is better. However the other day I was having a conversation with someone about this very thing. He is a Chrisian as I am but he said something to me that kind of upset me. He said and I quote so please forgive the harshness "I can't believe you would support a faggot". I hate that word. Anyway I was a bit upset with him but I didn't say anything. I just started pondering his statement. Adam has never come out and said yes I am gay but he has offered clues to suggest such a thing. He said kissing girls might not be his preference. There are pictures of him making out with guys. So yes there is a good chance that Adam Lambert is gay. The thing that has me perplexed though is how do Christians deal with the homosexual community. We can't deny its existence nor should we participate in that lifestyle. However I don't think that my liking Adams voice is me showing support for his lifestyle choice. I have several gay friends on campus. They all know that I disagree with their lifestyle choices but I still accept them as friends. So because they are gay should I just not associate with them? A better example would be the gay professor that we have on campus. She is an amazing professor but according to my friends logic I shouldn't take her classes and I shouldn't like her teaching because she is gay. I have to say I disagree. But then again according to him I'm a left wing wacko liberal so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

I just don't think its very christian to speak with disgust about someone just because they choose a lifestyle that we disagree with. Yes being gay is wrong no I do not support the gay lifestyle. I just like Adam Lambert and I like really good English teachers and I happen to have gay friends. However I'm very clear on how I feel about the lifestyle. I'm just not rude about it. I believe in the saying, "Hate the sin not the sinner"

2 comments:

Mrs. Ashley Mills said...

i feel ya. our christian world and the world's world (yeah, redundant, i know) don't mesh at all! I guess the right answer would be to find a balance that you feel comfortable with. Yeah, your gay friends know you don't approve, and yeah, they know you're friends with them anyway, but what's the difference between being a homosexual and cross dressing in God's eyes? both are abominations. the Bible says that no sin is above any other, other than blasphemy of the Holy Ghost with knowledge. in my mind, being friends with someone that's gay is the same as being friends with girls who wear pants or guys who wear girls clothes. no, i don't agree, but i'm not gonna shun you because you chose differently than I did.

btw, sorry i haven't been keeping up with you!! my blogger doesn't update your blog like it does the others! :P lurves ya!

Yvonne said...

Yep that's how I feel. My complaint is that so many christians are just plain rude about not accepting a persons sin and I hate that. I don't understand why we have to be hateful just because we disagree with a persons way of life.

My Trip to Scotland!